UPDATED: Ben Acker & Ben Blacker to Leave Supernatural

By Jennifer Pitt

UPDATE: It is Ben Acker and Ben Blacker leaving, thankfully Ben Edlund is still staying. Thank you all for all your comments, and for those of you who chose to berate me for being incorrect instead of sharing the news that it thankfully wasn’t Mr. Edlund as well, cheers to you too! :)

Writers Ben Acker and Ben Blacker are leaving Supernatural.

Writer and show runner Sera Gamble announced in April that she would be stepping down, and that long time writer Jeremy Carver would be taking over as show runner.

This means big things and big changes for Supernatural. Social media reactions range from relief to absolute panic. The majority of those asked are excited for the new things to come, believing that some new ideas were needed to further the show’s storyline, and thus its longevity.

Supernatural Season 8 premier airs October 2012. The late start allows for less mid-season hiatus in all the CW shows, thus having fewer breaks in between episodes.

Related Posts:

40 comments for “UPDATED: Ben Acker & Ben Blacker to Leave Supernatural

1. Elizabeth
    June 3, 2012 at 06:03

No more Edlund *and* no more Gamble? This is not going to be the same show.

2. Beth
    June 3, 2012 at 06:28

I was sorry to see Gamble go and excited to see Carver back – but I was counting on Edlund to maintain continuity. These three writers (and Kripke) have always been the best of Supernatural. Losing two of them makes me a little panicky, even as good as it will be to regain the third.

3. iris
    June 3, 2012 at 06:36

Chance the shows name without Edlund its not supernatural

4. Brend
    June 3, 2012 at 06:47

Why are they leaving, do they know something we don’t. This show needs Ben Edlund…please don’t go

5. Jen
    June 3, 2012 at 06:47

No Edlund? Now I’m worried. Gamble leaving didn’t bother me because we got Carver back, but without Edlund I’m sweating bullets already.

6. Hollie
    June 3, 2012 at 06:49

So no new episodes for 90 years? Wow that’s a long wait!!

7. Jennifer Pitt
    June 3, 2012 at 06:55

Seriously!!!!! Thanks for the correction :)

8. Steve Wandell
    June 3, 2012 at 06:59

Ben Blacker only co-wrote one episode of SPN this season – did he have another role on the show? otherwise I am not sure he can be classed as ‘leaving’!

As to the Edlund news, I’ll wait for something a little more official.

9. storyaddict69
    June 3, 2012 at 07:10

Edlund wrote some interesting episodes,but I’m not sad to see him go. We have carver,and I have to be honest and say I think supernatural needs writers that still have that “muse” or at least more imaginative and creative ideas and direction. Sera wrote some good episodes ,but I felt towards the end she had just lost her passion. She didnt really have any direction,and I think thats because she wasnt feeling it. I’m going to be nervous as anyone when you get new writers,but I’m Hoping we’ll gets some really talented and imaginative writers,that have that passion for what their writing.

10. Selen
    June 3, 2012 at 08:14

What about Ben Acker? Isn’t he in a writing team with Blacker, so is he leaving too or is he staying on alone?

11. ela
    June 3, 2012 at 09:41

Where did Ben Edlund ‘let it slip’? Is it on camera? Who did he say it to? When was it? Unless we get these details, I ain’t buyin’ it.

12. worrynet
    June 3, 2012 at 10:05

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo. I can’t let him go. I want Ben & Jeremy again! Castiel stays, and Ben goes away? Please!!! Why should I feel so bad on every hiatus for losing angelic someone???!!!!
    Without Ben Edlund, who will bring back Balthazar? ;( *cries*

13. Scarlett
    June 3, 2012 at 10:32

Is it definitely Ben Edlund that’s leaving and not Ben Acker? Seems odd that Acker & Blacker were brought on as a writing team yet only one of them is leaving, especially since they only wrote one episode last season. I was expecting the two of them to leave but the Edlund news has really shocked me.
    Hope it’s a mistake; Edlund’s the best writer Supernatural has ever had and I’d be devestated to lose him.

14. Judy
    June 3, 2012 at 10:50

Are you sure it’s Ben Edlund and not Ben Acker who’ s leaving? Acker and Blacker are a writing team; Edlund works solo.

15. caspock
    June 3, 2012 at 10:50

Okay, freaking out. I’m so NOT okay with Edlund leaving. I guess I’ll wait on a more official statement, but I’m still freaking out.

16. tiptoe39
    June 3, 2012 at 11:02

Not to call into question what you’ve reported, but are you absolutely sure you don’t mean Ben Acker & Ben Blacker? Those two are a writing team who just joined the show. Ben Edlund, on the other hand, is a venerated writer who has been with the show for years, and him leaving would be a huge story in and of itself. A clarification on this point would be hugely appreciated (and would save a lot of fans a coronary!) thanks!

17. June 3, 2012 at 12:15

Selfishly, I don’t want Edlund to leave, so still keeping fingers crossed that this isn’t so. But if it proves correct, I’ll follow him/um his career and wish him all the best!

18. AJ
    June 3, 2012 at 12:20

I thought Ben Blacker left months ago already and as for Ben Edlund, I will wait till something more official comes out as there has been no direct word from SPN otherwise.

19. Kate
    June 3, 2012 at 12:23

Eh? Edlund is no real surprise because he hinted last season that he wanted other challenges, but Blacker only co-wrote one episode anyway and was never “on staff.”

20. MP
    June 3, 2012 at 12:47

I’m really upset that Ben Edlund specifically is leaving. I always trust in the writers but one by one the great ones are jumping ship.

I’m really sad Sera is leaving, say what you want about her as showrunner but she was an INCREDIBLE writer. All respect to Kripke for sticking to his 5 year plan but now Ben freakin’ Edlund is leaving… i don’t even know what to say, think of some of the most amazing Superntural eps and he’s written them.

No disrespect to these guys (they’re awesome too) but i’m hoping it’s Ben Blacker and his writing partner Ben Acker NOT Ben Edlund… maybe it’s a mistake? *hoping*

21. Eaksoy
    June 3, 2012 at 13:07

NOOO. NO. As much as I love me some change and movements, Ben Edlund’s writing genius would not be possible to repeat in any way. By the way as fas as I understand Gamble is not leaving she’s just stepping down so thankfully she’ll continue writing episodes. But without Edlund none of the small mercies will mean anything.

22. Maddy
    June 3, 2012 at 13:15

Looks like there’s trouble in paradise…

Gamble stepping down as showrunner and leaving the show – From the way Jared was talking about the sitation ‘off the record’ in one of his meet and greets, i get the feeling it didn’t end very well.

Ivan Hayden leaving and ‘moving on to other things’

Ben Blacker – okay he’s only been around since season 7 but Ben Edlund… BEN EDLUND leaving… need i say more…

I love SPN and want it to go on for a few more seasons but with all this i hope there’s no bad blood because once the crew/writers etc start to get tired so does the show and i don’t want that to happen.

Well, i’m sure season 8 will be amazing… but if Bob Singer ever decides to leave WE ARE SCREWED!

23. Jensenfan1978
    June 3, 2012 at 14:47

@Elizabeth, I’m not sure that is a bad thing. I know that at least Jensen is relieved. He commented in Rome JIB Con

24. Jensenfan1978
    June 3, 2012 at 14:50

Ben Acker are a writing team and they have already left. Three bets it’s a name mix up.

25. Jensenfan1978
    June 3, 2012 at 14:53

@Jensenfan1978, This is a correction. Too fast typing this morning. It’s Ben Acker and Ben Blacker who left. They are a writing team.

26. spikeschilde621
    June 3, 2012 at 15:14

NOOOOO! Ben, you were our only hope! Baby come back! you can blame it all on me!

27. Novalis
    June 3, 2012 at 15:22

Gamble’s leaving? Cool she fucked up season 7.
    Edlund is leaving? NO! BEN SIT STILL AND WRITE US FEW EPISODES I BEG YOU. IF YOU’RE NOT GONNA HELP THIS SHOW THAN ONLY KRIPKE CAN SAVE US.

28. Evyn
    June 3, 2012 at 15:53

Doesn´t seam all that legit no offence, plus Jim Michaels said at his panel at Asylium 8 that Ben would always be a part of supernatural. If it´s true I´m going to be really sad to see him go, but I´m going to wait util we get a more official statement.

29. Brittany
    June 3, 2012 at 15:54

From Ben Blacker’s Twitter:

30. Beth
    June 3, 2012 at 15:57

What is the matter with you???

You can’t tell the difference between Ben Edlund and Ben Acker??

Do you know what you did to us?????

31. Dan
    June 3, 2012 at 15:58

Might want to check your info there. Blacker and Acker are leaving. Not Edlund.

32. Anna
    June 3, 2012 at 15:59

Ben Blacker says Edlund is staying. His twitter post:

Ben Blacker ‏@BenBlacker
    “SPN fans: your wires are crossed. @bnacker and I have left the show. Edlund is staying. They need his magical brain!”

Can you confirm with your source that Ben Edlund is actually leaving the show, despite this comment?

33. bestshowfan
    June 3, 2012 at 16:07

@Elizabeth,

34. bestshowfan
    June 3, 2012 at 16:09

@Elizabeth,

I’m glad to see both of them go. I hope the show can get back to the feel it had in the beginning.

35. bestshowfan
    June 3, 2012 at 16:12

@storyaddict69,

I agree. I think Sera did her best work when she cowrote episodes. I don’t think she had showrunner ability, and I’m very happy to see Edlund go. I disliked his work intensely.

36. deidre
    June 3, 2012 at 16:15

Glad to hear Ben Blacker confirmed it was Ben Acker, not Edlund, who was leaving.

Although I’m still wondering what happened to these guys. Since they were hired for the season, why only write 1 episode? (and too bad that it was actually decent. I actually wish they had stuck around.)

37. June 3, 2012 at 16:41

@Brittany, sweet! was just gonna post this also!

38. June 3, 2012 at 16:44

@Selen, Tweet from Ben Blacker‏ – @BenBlacker

39. Justine
    June 3, 2012 at 18:35

@Maddy, I’m not alone in wanting to know a little more about what Jared said in that meet and greet. Do you know any more?